Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Quilt Lover's Paradise


I spent two glorious days in Kalona Iowa. "Iowa's Best Kept Secret" as the brochure says. I was invited to attend the Iowa-Illinois Quilt Study Group meeting held there on Saturday. Two of my fellow guild members make the trip to Kalona twice a year. I felt so honored they asked me to join them. I mean both, Maretta and Beth, are professional quilt judges. Professional.


The drive was unbelievably beautiful. Of course, the usual four hour drive took us 8! We made 5 quilt shop stops. Luckily, we had a chauffeur, Dave, who kindly stopped with a smile. My favorite shop was The Pine Needles, in Marion IA. One of the largest shops I've ever seen. Be sure to check it out if your in the area. You won't be disappointed.


The Iowa-Illinois Quilt Study Group meeting was a quilt lover's dream. The room was filled with 60 members who had so much knowledge about all things fabric! They were dating fabrics as far back as the 1840's. The members "show & share" their treasured antique quilts. All were exceptional beauties. If your interested in the group contact
Marilyn Woodin, Curator of the Kalona Quilt and Textile Museum.



Maretta, brought a quilt to show the group from our
local Milton House Museum.



The current exhibit at the Museum is antique Amish log cabin quilts.
They also had a display of hand crafted spool cabinets.
I will post those photos later in the week.


1 comment:

  1. You were sew lucky to be there! The pics of the Amish look as if they could have been taken right here in PA.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!